Sarasota Probate Lawyer
Personalized care for your loved one’s estate in Sarasota and Osprey, Florida
If a loved one has died recently, your grief can make it difficult to manage the tasks of settling the estate. And if you live out of state or have a demanding career, shepherding the estate through probate can be a logistical nightmare. Rather than face the frustration and risk losses through errors and delays, you can entrust the process to seasoned Sarasota probate attorney Teresa K. Bowman, P.A. I act as the estate representative for clients throughout Sarasota and Manatee counties to validate a decedent’s will or settle an intestate estate according to Florida’s inheritance laws. Drawing on more than 15 years of experience in this area of the law, I take great care performing my duties and I am always accessible and responsive to your concerns. My team has offices in Sarasota and Osprey.
Trustworthy handling of probate administration
Although every decedent’s estate is unique, the tasks of an executor are basically the same. These include:
- Filing and letters of administration — Within 10 days of the death, a family member usually files the will in the appropriate Florida court. If you wish to serve as personal representative of the estate, I can help you to be promptly appointed and issued letters of administration, which give you authority. I can either counsel you throughout the probate process or act as the administrator of the estate.
- Locating and valuing assets — Sometimes even the closest family members are unaware of specific assets or unable to obtain title to them. I conduct a thorough review to bring all relevant property into the estate so that each item can be properly valued.
- Paying taxes, paying debts, and collecting from creditors — The executor has authority to settle all accounts related to the estate. This must be done before assets are released to beneficiaries.
- Handling disputes and challenges — If a disagreement occurs over the validity of the will or a specific bequest, I advocate for a decision that enforces the testator’s intentions.
- Distributing property — In the most efficient manner possible, I transfer ownership of each asset from the estate to the named beneficiary. From there, I submit the relevant receipts to the court and move to close the estate.
Mistakes during the probate process can be very costly, and delays can prevent assets from going to beneficiaries who have an urgent need. To save time, frustration, and wasteful losses, you might consider the advantage of retaining an experienced probate attorney.
Reliable assistance for trust administration
If the decedent’s estate plan included one or more trusts, it is important for beneficiaries to understand the terms of the trust and their rights in relation to it. Some trusts continue to operate after the death of the grantor. Other trusts transfer assets to beneficiaries as soon as the grantor passes. In my practice, I often act as a trust administrator, overseeing the assets for the benefit of the beneficiaries. I also provide guidance to trustees and beneficiaries for various types of trusts.
Contact a thorough Florida probate lawyer to schedule an appointment
Teresa K. Bowman, P.A. handles probate and trust administration tasks with meticulous care for clients in Sarasota and Osprey. Please call 941-735-5200 or contact my Sarasota office online to schedule an appointment.